Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The truth about leadership

So I was watching the Presidential address a few weeks ago and I noticed how gray the President's hair had gotten.  I remarked to the others in the room that I would never be President!  That's probably a good thing for our country, but I digress...  I sat there thinking, as everyone was weighing in on the state of the last few Presidents' rapid change in hair color, that besides the vanity of graying hair, there is so much--maybe too much--responsibilty in being "the leader."  For example, everybody thinks it's your fault if something is a failure; however, no one (but your good friends and your mom) congratulates you if something goes well.  In addition, you are always in the spotlight.  I mean, what if I was having a particularly bad hair day?  Is that automatically open to public scrutiny?  I suppose so, since I was just doing that very thing to the leader of the free world. 

In talking to a first year teacher not to long ago, she shared something with me that I think I needed to hear on that day, "...everybody can learn something from someone, even if you're a veteran [teacher]."  Of course that same teacher also said that 45 was--now how did she put it--not that old...but that's beside the point.  The point is, so much wisdom and leadership can come from where we least expect it

I am amazed at this new way of thinking, because for years I had puposely avoided the actual role of "leader" in my profession, because I had no desire to be one.  In my mind, I had equated leadership to administrator.  I still have no desire to be an administrator (principal or assistant principal for those who aren't as familiar with educational jargon), and I can't really articulate why.  I now realize that that desire has nothing to do with not wanting to lead, but perhaps more to do with the role I want to take as leader.  A favorite professor of mine and my fellow cohorts would call this a paradigm shift

As another week goes by in my mentor residency placement,  I watch the leaders in our building, and not all of them are "in charge."  Some of them are office workers, some are custodians, some are even newish teachers.  I am suddenly struck with what Oprah would undoubtedly call an "aha moment."  Leadership is not positional!!  I'm sure that people in other professions would agree, especially those who have told me personally that their manager or boss is not a "good leader." Now I'm very fortunate to have two very good leaders in my school, and their leadership style has changed the culture of the school.  I'm convinced, though that this change has nothing to do their position of authority, but that they are in fact, willing to serve and to listen.  That is a the mark of a leader. Hmm...I have been successfully ducking leadership positions for quite some time now and all the time I've been in a leadership position anyway.  Imagine that.  Now, I think I like being a leader!

1 comment:

  1. I have also avoided "official leadership" for many of the reasons you stated. I have intentionally tried to lead in how I love on the kids - tough love - but when they are having a bad day, they know that they can come to me. I am looking forward to hearing more about your journey!!

    ReplyDelete