Monday, September 12, 2011

So what's next?

Recently, a man who was very instrumental in my life--my college choir director--passed away.  Inevitably, I became, as many of us whose lives he touched, reflective of our college days (the good, the bad, and the ugly).  I thought about choices I had made, people I had met, and ultimately about my pride in the institution from which I graduated.  Now Alabama A & M University could never compare to a Duke or University of Tennessee in terms of size, but I dare any other school to compete with the history that surrounds it.  You see, the founder of A & M--William Hooper Councill--was a former slave on the same grounds where the school stands.  I remember when I learned that very profound piece of information.  It absolutely changed me.

Now as I am older, I still find that fact quite remarkable, but what I really want to ask Dr. Councill is did you always know what you wanted to do with your life?  When was it you decided that you would fulfill this vision that was placed in you?  Yesterday I listened to my friend and former pastor preach about vision.  Specifically, Do you know yours?  Are you fulfilling it?  My answer to that would have to be a resounding I don't know.

He says that vision is usually given at a young age.  Probably.  I listened to my classmates and my professor talk on Saturday about how they had all known that they wanted to be teachers because they had played school as children.  (Is that the indication?  Hmmm...)  I thought about that.  I had played school.  Of course I had also played hopscotch, jump rope (well double-dutch), tag...  So how do you know?

My mother, who is 80 years old today has declared that her two-month old great grandson will be a doctor.  She says, "I'll be gone on to Glory, but 'Dr. G,' (her name for him) will be doing his thang down here!"  I hope so.  We could use a doctor in the family.  She knows that he will be a doctor.  I wonder when he will know.

All of us in this position as mentor have thought about what they will do after the one-year placement.  A couple of people even know what they will do and have a plan to fulfill it.  I have an excitement, a stirring about what is happening and will happen, but I wish I had the clarity that they have.  After what I heard yesterday, I can't stop thinking about not only what comes next, but what comes now? In other words, what will I do with the rest of my life?  Classroom teacher?  Academic coach? Admin--(I refuse to say the word)...  I have the feeling that whatever it is will be the fulfillment of whatever was placed in me as a small child while I was playing double-dutch.  We shall see.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Susann! You don't presume to have all the answers. Of course none of us does! Keep writing. It's a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Enjoy the journey friend and keep writing for the rest of us :-)

    ReplyDelete